1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups organic sugar
2/3 cup cocoa powder
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 cup Natura soy or almond chocolate
1/2 cup water
2 tsp lemon juice
2 eggs at room temperature
2 tsp pure vanilla extract
125 g dark chocolate
1/3 cup cocoa powder
3/4 cup Natura soy or almond chocolate
1/2 cup unsalted butter
3 cups sifted icing sugar
Servings : 12
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease and dust 3 round 8” cake pans with cocoa powder. In a large bowl combine flour, sugar, cocoa powder and baking soda. Mix well.
- In a separate bowl whip the natur-a chocolate, oil, water, lemon juice, eggs and vanilla.
- Using an electric mixer, add the liquid mixture to the dry ingredients and beat for approximately 30 seconds, until all the ingredients are well blended.
- Pour equal portions into all 3 pans and bake for 35 to 40 minutes.
- When the cake is ready, allow to coo 10 to 15 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into center of cake comes out clean. Remove from the pans and flip over to ensure that cake is fully cooled prior to icing.
- In a medium-sized saucepan, on low heat, combine chocolate, cocoa powder, natur-a chocolate and butter. Stir constantly until melted. (Careful not to boil). Remove from the heat.
- Sift the icing sugar into a large Pyrex or stainlessa steel bowl. Blend in the chocolate sauce while beating the mixture. The consistency should remain rather liquid.
- Refrigerate for 3 to 4 hours to thicken.
- Once chilled, beat until creamy so that the icing may be spread evenly between each layer and over the cake.
- Once iced, the cake will keep covered, at room temperature, for 2 days. It also freezes well.