45 mL (3 tbsp.) vegetable oil
30 mL (2 tbsp.) all-purpose flour
500 mL (2 cups) Natura soy Unsweetened
125 mL (1/2 cup) parmesan cheese, grated
Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
60 mL (1/4 cup) fresh parsley, chopped
Servings : 4
- Heat oil in a saucepan and add flour. Stir to obtain a homogenous blend (a roux). Cook for 1 to 2 minutes stopping before mixture browns.
- Add Natura gradually, stirring continuously with a whisk. Bring mixture to a boil and simmer gently until the sauce thickens.
- Blend in grated parmesan cheese. Continue cooking sauce for 3 minutes, uncovered over medium heat, or until cheese is melted.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper and add chopped parsley
- Replace parmesan cheese with cheddar (mild, medium, old or extra-old), Swiss, Gouda or other.
- Replace parsley with another herb or add additional herbs (basil, oregano, tarragon, chives, etc.).
- Add spices to accentuate taste of sauce (curry powder or paste, paprika, nutmeg etc.).
- Add onions (or shallots) and minced garlic, which should be browned in the oil (add oil, if necessary) at the start of the preparation.
- Blend in tomato sauce to make a rosé sauce.
- Add cubes of cooked chicken, fish or seafood.
- Add sautéed vegetables (mushrooms, zucchinis, peppers etc.).
- This recipe can be made without cheese.